Sure, the rollercoasters and other rides get all the publicity in theme park these days. But not all of us are thrill-seekers who love the 360-degree corkscrew turns, drops of more than a hundred feet, and tremendous g-forces. Or perhaps you love them, but you just want a break from all these thrills.
If that’s the case, then here are some great activities you can do instead:
Eat and Drink
And be merry. Lots of theme parks offer iconic foods that you can’t really get anywhere else. Here are some examples of the food and drinks you really must try if you’re ever in any of the mentioned theme parks:
- Mickey Waffle, Disneyland and Walt Disney World. A waffle is always a great way to start the day, especially when it looks like Mickey Mouse.
- Smoked Turkey Leg, Disneyland and Magic Kingdom. This is one of the most famous treats from Disney that you really have to sample. It’s huge, and it sure gets you going for the rest of the day.
- Ginger Molasses Cookies, Silver Dollar City. You can get these in the park if you ever find Eva & Delilah’s Bakery.
- Cheese on a Stick, Cedar Point. This is the signature snack of the place, and no visit to Cedar Point is complete without having it. This isn’t really a mozzarella stick at all, as it’s basically a huge corn dog with a huge lump of molten cheese in the middle. You might actually need the calories to get you through the day.
- Fresh–Baked Cinnamon Bread, Dollywood. You won’t forget about this, since it’s the first thing you smell once you get here. Just head on to The Grist Mill to get it.
- Butterbeer, Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Get a sense of how Harry felt when he first snuck out to visit Hogsmeade village. It’s actually made from butterscotch, which does sound a bit more alcoholic than butterbeer. You can enjoy this hot, iced, or frozen.
- Nathan’s Famous Hot Dogs, Coney Island. This hotdog stand started out way back in 1916.
- Dole Whip, Disneyland and Magic Kingdom. This is pineapple soft serve, so it’s good for the dairy-averse.
Get a Real Drink
Though some theme parks serve only drinks that the kids can legally imbibe, some places have bars where the adults can have their real drinks. Try these bars to really relax after a hard day’s fun:
- Dawa Bar at Animal Kingdom. Try the Tusker Lager, along with the other African beers.
- Hog’s Head Pub at the Universal Studios Florida and Hollywood. There’s Firewhiskey here, but you should also try the Wizard’s Brew Stout.
- La Cava del Tequila at Epcot. Go to the Mexico section for the best bar, and La Cava del Tequila. Here you will find more than 200 Mexican beers, wine, and tequilas. You should sip the Wild Passion Fruit Margarita.
- Rose and Crown Pub at Epcot. If a British pub is more your style, come here and get an English Rose.
- Moe’s Tavern at Universal Studios Florida. Get the Flaming Moe, and don’t have a cow, man.
- Tune-In Lounge at Hollywood Studios. It’s a retro bar that features old-school TVs showing black & white shows. Try the Electric Lemonade with Glow-in-the-Dark Ice Cubes.
- Nomad Lounge and Cocktail Bar at the Animal Kingdom. This is Animal Kingdom’s first signature bar, and you have to get their Malaysian Mule.
- Full Throttle Sports Bar at Six Flags Magic Mountain. Order the Seasonal Cold Brew, and watch various sports games on the 30 hi-def TVs.
Catch a Great Show
Once you’re done with the rides, evening comes and it’s time for the stage shows and the fireworks displays. Here are some extravaganzas you mustn’t miss:
- Happily Ever After. Magic Kingdom
- Matsuriza. Epcot
- Celestina Warbeck and the Banshees. Islands of Adventure
- Fantasmic. Hollywood Studios
- Celtic Fyre. Busch Gardens Williamsburg
- WaterWorld. Universal Studios Hollywood
- Festival of the Lion King. Animal Kingdom
- Smoky Mountain Christmas. Dollywood
- World of Color. Disney California Adventure
- Rivers of Light. Animal Kingdom
It’s obvious at this point that these theme parks have more going for them than just the rides. In fact, you might argue that these food, drinks, and shows can really make sure that your theme park vacation will be utterly unforgettable!